Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Another Role Model and Colege Advice from Kyla Grant

It's important to hang around the right people. 

I am so blessed to have some great people in my life.  Kyla Grant is one of those people. My family often visited the Grant home - and I met Kyla when I was seven and she was fourteen. Not exactly playmates but we bonded. She was always kind, funny, spiritual and a very talented singer. 


2014 Detroit Metro Youth Day Scholarship Awardees
2014 SAC Delta Sigma Theta Scholarship Winners



I have always looked up to her (literally) - and now that she is graduate from Howard University and living/working in New York city for a major digital marketing agency - I am even more proud to know her.


About Kyla C. Grant:  An honors graduate from Howard University with bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. Born and raised in Detroit, Mich., Grant discovered her passion for reporting while interning at NBC affiliate, WDIV News-4 in high school. During her sophomore year in college she reported for the Howard University News Service where she had the opportunity to cover the historic 2008 Presidential Election and the 2009 Presidential Inauguration. Grant also had internships was with WTOP News Radio, in Washington, DC, where she wrote and edited radio scripts for the air and online and Blue Cross/Blue Shield where she wrote and edited newsletter and  suggested design ideas that are being implemented on the company website.

TODAY she is a high-energy strategic marketer with exceptional project leadership & communication skills who thrives on multi-tasking, developing strong client relationships & cultivating team efficiency in efforts to deliver innovative work.

Since I'm planning on majoring in Marketing at Michigan State, I wrote her and she gave me this advice:

Hey Aubrey! 

Don't pack your whole life to go to away to school! I left home and headed to Howard University with 8 very large suitcases full of things that represented who I was in High School. One semester in, I returned most of those things to my home over Christmas break -- to my mother's disappointment. :-) 


I give this advice because your identity as a (new) adult will undoubtably be shaped during your freshman year. And though who you were in High School will serve as an influence, who you choose to become in that first year of undergrad will be even more impactful. 


Freshman year is an opportunity to reinvent (for some) revitalize (for others) who you are. And align yourself with who God has called you to be in this new season. 

Change! Grow! Embrace your new life! 

Best of luck to you!
Kyla


Thanks Kyla. I hope to make you proud!  Thanks for all the encouragement and your prayers.


No comments:

Post a Comment