Monday, June 30, 2014

PR Career Interview with Ercia Tackett

Go Green! Go White!

 I am starting Michigan State in the fall and my head is swimming with all the information that the school is giving. So, I wanted to reach out to a student and get their weigh in on all this career stuff.  

 I am going to major in marketing in the business school, but I also like the creativity of advertising and communications.  I am pretty good with coming up with ideas and writing.

Well, there's a lot to think about and I wanted to ask someone who's "been there, done that".... that's why I chose Ms. Erica Tackett as my first interview.

 
She is amazing.This summer she is a Corporate Communications Intern at Chrysler Group LLC and she is the Director of the Michigan State University PR Firm, Hubbell Connections. 

Her major is Advertising with a specialization in Public Relations. She is in the MSU Residence Halls Association and a Peer Advisor in the Communications Arts and Sciences Career office.

She's interned/worked for 89X CIMX, Pete's Place and The State News. She recently won the 2014 George Brown Memorial Scholarship. The Award is a PACE Award from the Central Michigan Public Relations Society of America. Erica won this PACE award, which is mid-Michigan's highest honor of public relations activities. (See photo)

She was kind enough to answer my questions:



1.)    What first attracted you to go into PR? Did you always see yourself going into this field?
When I was still in high school, I had intentions of going into the medical field—then I took AP Biology and realized that was NOT for me! I was class president at the time, and my school counselor recommended I try out PR. The rest is history. 

2.)    What is one of the most fun experiences you have had being a part of Hubell?
Hubbell Connections has been so rewarding in so many different ways. As for the top of the list, I would have to say seeing your client gain news coverage. It may not seem fun from the surface, but when you work hard on promoting an event and see a story online the next day it's super thrilling!


3.) What have you learned and how have you grown/matured by being a part of Hubell?
Hubbell has taught me everything from the basics of working with different clients and learning how to work with each one differently, to handling a client crisis. Hubbell gives students the opportunity to try out different aspects of the industry, and gain a general knowledge and skill level of PR that they can build on later in their school career—whether it be with Hubbell in an executive position, or at an internship. 

3.)    Why did you choose to go to Michigan State?
I came from an area where hardly anyone moved away to school. I decided early on that I wanted to go away, and Michigan State was my number one choice. Then, after researching their PR program and learning about PRSSA, I was set. I was fortunate to attend a "Day at State" program, where I was partnered with the at that time Hubbell Director. She was super informative about Hubbell Connections and all the opportunity the firm had to offer. 

4.)    What would you have done differently if you could go back to your first year in college?
Nothing. I have had an amazing experience so far in my college career, and wouldn't change a thing. There are little things here and there that I would have been better off with or without, but you can't live life with regrets. Make the most of out your first year and get involved in EVERYTHING POSSIBLE—you won't regret it. 

5.)    What are some of the most important tips to be successful in college?
Find what you're passionate about and completely submerse yourself in it. I joined PRSSA as a freshman—I knew no one, was probably the only freshman, and was scared to death. But by stepping out of my comfort zone, I met amazing people and have gained experience that many people don't have by the time they graduate. If you get involved from the beginning, you will strongly benefit later. 


Thank you Erica!

See you at State in the fall - count me in!


No comments:

Post a Comment